SWIM LESSON INSTRUCTOR
Responsible for providing YMCA structured instruction in all types of aquatic classes, including parent/baby, preschool, and youth progressive and adult programs. Instructors are responsible for assuring the safety of all class participants and for acting immediately and appropriately in all emergency situations in the pool area.
1. Assure the safety of all lesson participants.
2. Have complete knowledge of all strokes and skills to be taught as well as curriculum for levels to
be taught, and receive additional training, as needed.
3. Be on time and prepared for each lesson. This includes, but is not limited to, wearing proper
swimming attire, having instructional equipment ready, and greeting the lesson participants as
they enter the pool area.
4. Be in the water and participate in each lesson.
5. Prepare and follow daily lesson plans and adhere to the general outline of the session.
6. Be enthusiastic and supportive of all lesson participants.
7. Enforce all pool rules and YMCA policies and procedures. Lead by example.
8. Keep class organized and always keep it moving.
1. Current CPR and First Aid certifications are preferred, but are not required.
2. Prior lesson and instruction experience is preferred, but not required.
3. Well-developed communication skills important as well as ability to be patient.
4. Enjoy working and interacting with people of all types and ages, modeling the important core values of caring, honesty, respect, and responsibility.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the Essential Functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the functions and duties.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit, stand, get up and down, use hands to finger, handle, feel or use objects, keyboards and controls and to write and read, to hear and talk. The employee is frequently required to reach with hands or arms.
The employee is occasionally required to climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl.
The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to, but not limited to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this position include close vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.