HGN PRESCHOOL - TEACHERS ASSISTANT
Under the direction of the Site Director and Lead Teacher, Assistant Teachers are responsible for implementing activities for children in the classroom in our Early Learning Centers & Preschools Requires a flexible schedule. $12-16/hour Depending on experience. TIME COMMITMENT: Hours available are Monday through Friday between 6:30 a.m. and 6:00 p.m.
- Assist the Lead Teacher in providing appropriate early childhood education experiences to promote the healthy emotional, social, intellectual, and physical development of each child
- Assist in planning and implementation of age appropriate curriculum to ensure quality early learning programming
- Ensure compliance with all child care licensing standards as defined by the Iowa Department of Human Services
- Ensure accurate and timely completion of all required written documentation (i.e., incident reports, daily grams, room journals, etc.)
- Use positive guidance methods of discipline
- Assist in daily communication with parents
- Assist in maintaining a neat, organized classroom, taking responsibility for the upkeep of all educational materials
- Eat all meals and snacks with children and assist in development of good nutrition habits
- Help children establish good habits of toileting and personal hygiene
- Assist in supervising activities at all times to ensure safety of each child
- Attend parent meetings and other center activities when appropriate
- Assist other child care staff in areas of individual teaching expertise
- Complete 6 hours of professional development annually, 2 of which must be in a sponsored group setting (10 contact hours during the first year of employment, 4 of which must be in a sponsored group setting) with 1.5 hours related to CACFP
- Provide guidance, support, and structure for program volunteers
- Comply with all YMCA policies and procedures as outlined in the YMCA Employee Handbook
- Be responsible for maintaining the cleanliness of the total work environment
- This position may require various work hours and locations; individual must be able to work flexible hours
- Perform all other duties as assigned
- Be able to sit, stand, walk, stoop, kneel, and lift up to 50 pounds
- Must show evidence of security and judgement to handle crisis situations and the ability to work with parents and children in a classroom setting. A high school diploma or GED (or proof one is in progress) with 1 year of verifiable child care experience is required.
- Must be at least 18 years-old and complete the following trainings once hired:
- Pre-employment physical examination including testing for communicable diseases
- TB skin test taken within 6 months prior to the start date completed by a licensed physician and repeated every 3 years
- First Aid and CPR certification within the first year of employment, with First Aid being renewed every 3 years and CPR being renewed annually
- Mandatory Child Abuse Reporter training within the first 6 months of employment and repeated annually
- 1 hour of Universal Precautions and Infectious Disease Control training within the first 6 months of employment and repeated annually
- Receive a negative report on the YMCA/Department of Human Services Non-Law Enforcement Records Check and the National Criminal History check; conducted every two years
- Values: Demonstrate the YMCA’s core values every day you are at work: have compassion, instill ownership, empower people, and embrace diversity.
- Dependability: Show up to work on time, every time. Keep your commitments. Take responsibility for your own actions. Understand implications of your decisions.
- Communication: Demonstrate the ability to treat others with respect and consideration when working with a variety of personalities and leadership styles. Listen and seek clarifications. Communicate internally and externally in a positive tone.
- Professionalism: Take pride in how you present yourself. Motivate yourself to bring your best every day. Develop strategies to achieve organization goals.
- Adaptability: Be able to multitask in a changing and evolving work environment to best fit the situation. Demonstrate support for innovation and for organizational changes needed to improve the organization’s effectiveness.