Click the button above to view the virtual plans for the New Marion Y building
Watch the KCRG news story covering the first look into the New Marion Y
The Capital Campaign for a New Marion YMCA
Progress for a new Marion YMCA is underway! The YMCA of the Cedar Rapids Metropolitan Area is partnering with the City of Marion to build this project on 13 acres along the Tower Terrace Road extension and Winslow Road in Marion.
- The new YMCA will be twice the size of the current 35,000-square-foot building built in 1963.
- The new Marion Y will serve residents in Hiawatha, Robins, Cedar Rapids and rural communities surrounding Marion, in addition to Marion residents.
- The multipurpose facility will be designed as a social hub to meet the recreation, wellness, education and medical needs of residents and employers in the community.
What This Means
For Our City
SUPPORT FOR OUR NEIGHBORS:
It will provide premium health, wellness and community gathering space for people in Marion and the surrounding region, as well as offer membership and scholarship assistance to those experiencing financial need.
NURTURING THE POTENTIAL OF YOUTH:
The larger space will enable us to expand childcare, summer day camp, youth activities and sports, swimming classes and swim safety, leadership training, family programming and more.
IMPROVING THE COMMUNITY’S HEALTH AND WELL-BEING:
The Y will continue to address health disparities, including chronic disease prevention, cancer recovery, and childhood obesity.
As a community asset, the new YMCA will attract residents looking for a high quality of life and great community services, providing another asset for employers to attract employees.
The New Marion YMCA.
All Together. Better.
A PLACE FOR ALL
Extensive research revealed people in Marion want a multipurpose facility to meet their recreation, wellness, education and medical needs. We will fill gaps of need in our community.
- Multigenerational programming and recreational opportunities
- Indoor community hub
- Large community rooms for events
- Gym space for leagues and regional sports tournaments
- Recreation pool with shallow depths and splash pad for kids
- Family changing rooms and new-mom’s nursing and changing room
- Indoor walking/running track
- 70,000+ square-foot facility
- 13-acre site along Tower Terrace Road
Why A New Y?
Families, millennials and older adults are looking for great places to go.
- Safe places to learn and play
- Year-round facilities to socialize and get active
- A community center close to home
The new Marion Y will be a regional center for Marion residents AND people in Hiawatha, Robins, Cedar Rapids, and more.
Our vibrant and growing community is projected to have 40,000 residents by 2020. We’ve long outgrown the current Marion YMCA.
- At 35,000 square feet, the facility was built for a city of 12,000 people in 1963
- It’s not handicap accessible
- Marion is the fifth fastest growing community in Iowa, attracting more than 870 new residents annually. More than 26 percent are kids
A new Marion Y will be more than a larger facility. It will strengthen our community by building a healthy spirit, mind and body for all.
Imagine people of all ages and backgrounds coming together to play, work, learn and improve their health. All in one place. All at the new Marion YMCA.
The Y is more than a gym. We provide safe day care for kids. We work to prevent diabetes, help cancer survivors gain back their lives, give older adults connection, activity and meaning. We save lives through water safety and we give kids a chance to play sports regardless of their ability. Over one-third of Y participants receive scholarship assistance.
The Marion Y serves 4,000 dedicated members. And with more space, we can do more:
- Arthritis Exercise and Low Impact Classes
- Cancer Survivor programming – LIVESTRONG at the YMCA
- Childcare and Community Youth Services
- Corporate and Community Wellness
- Diabetes Prevention
- Income-based Pricing and Scholarship Assistance
- Youth Sports
- Water Aerobics
- Water Safety and Swimming Classes
We are a melting pot of people from different backgrounds, ages, economic situations and genders. The Y is about people and serving their needs.
You can help us create something better for all of us.
Where Will It Be?
Located in the center of Marion, as our community grows.
New City Center. New construction on the north side of Marion is moving the city center to Tower Terrace Road.
The new Marion YMCA will be located on 13 acres along the Tower Terrace Road extension and Winslow Road in Marion. A section of Winslow Road will be moved to accommodate a business park expansion that will be located near the new Marion YMCA.
Brand new transportation corridor. Road construction across the northern Cedar Rapids metro area will provide easy access for visitors in and outside of Marion. This will enable the Y to easily serve resident of Hiawatha, Robins, Cedar Rapids and rural communities surrounding Marion.
Partnerships are One of the Great Strengths of This Project
The City of Marion has committed $6.5 million. As a result, Marion residents will have greater access to the facility, including unlimited guest passes.
Community volunteers are working on committees and as fundraising partners to help make the New Marion Y a reality.
You can join the progress and work alongside the YMCA in our role of helping improve community health and creating an environment where we can thrive and become better. As individuals, as families, as a community.